CBD has been gaining popularity as a natural medicine to treat everything from anxiety to epilepsy. It’s no surprise that people have been looking for different ways to harness its many benefits. Recently there’s been a surge in companies all over the world crafting CBD influenced cocktails and even wines.
What is CBD?
CBD is a feel-good chemical in the cannabis plant that does not have psychoactive effects. Unlike THC, It will not create the sensation of being “high”. It is safe, non-addictive, and legal in most places.
Is it Safe To Mix CBD and Alcohol?
Yes! You may have heard stories or experienced first hand how negative mixing marijuana with alcohol can be. CBD is a completely different story. When used moderately in cocktails it can have a huge variety of different benefits. It enhances the flavor, increases the feel-good effect of the drink, and can even leave you without a hangover the morning after. Cocktails that are spiked with CBD can also help lower your social anxiety, making it easier to be conversational and can relieve stress and depression. Without its psychoactive partner, CBD is a perfect partner to alcoholic beverages and, perfectly safe.
What Are The Benefits?
We, as humans, are hard-wired to crave cannabis products as cannabinoids are a naturally occurring substance already made in the body. “We all have endocannabinoid receptors in our bodies already, and cannabinoids [a class of chemicals found in CBD and other cannabis products] also occur naturally in substances like breast milk,” said Cannabis guru and advocate Sailene Ossman. She believes the benefits are endless and helps to rerun balance to the body.
- CBD helps protect against cell damage created by drinking alcohol: There was a study done that shows that the alcohol blood level was lower in the subjects that also ingested CBD. This didn’t necessarily mean that the impairments and motor coordination were dissimilar in both groups.
- It’s an antioxidant: These creative concoctions are not only delicious but are high in antioxidants and have all types of healing properties. CBD can treat different kinds of body inflammation, relieving symptoms of seizures, and pain. CBD can also have benefits for your skin, helping to prevent acne and causes your skin to become healthy and glow!
- It helps repair damage to the body caused by alcohol consumption: Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to damage to cells and increase risks for certain illnesses. It can lead to chronic diseases such as pancreatitis, liver disease, and some types of cancer. There are many studies on animals that show that CBD helps by protecting against alcohol-induced fatty liver disease. This happens because of the process CBD creates, called autography, that creates new cells and leads to tissue regeneration.
- No Hangovers! On top of its long list of benefits, adding CBD to your cocktails will help keep you hydrated. This lessens the feeling of being “hungover” the following morning.
How to Use CBD In Cocktails
There are several different factors in choosing the right CBD for your cocktail, including taste and texture. CBD oils and tinctures can widely vary in taste. Some may have extremely strong, vegetal and, citrus flavors which will add a new element to the overall flavor of the cocktail. These flavors do especially well with anything botanical, such as gin. Other CBD products may have very little taste and will integrate well into any cocktail.
- CBD Oil: This is, obviously, oil-based and doesn’t integrate into the cocktail. If oil is used it will float on the top of the drink or add a viscous mouthfeel in certain stirred cocktails. This is the perfect choice for those that want to smell it as they are taking a sip. The only downside is that when the drink is done there will still be oil left at the bottom of the glass.
- CBD Tincture: These tinctures are alcohol-based and can integrate perfectly into any cocktail recipe. This way you get every last drop of CBD in the glass. Most cocktail bars will use tinctures for ease.
How to Dose
It’s always suggested to start with a smaller dose and see how your body reacts. The same cocktail may make someone feel extremely relaxed, while another will feel nothing at all. Experts mainly say that 25 mg is a safe beginner dose but many establishments opt for much smaller doses. Some places are misting about 1 mg over any beverage, which over a few drinks may eventually lead to the calm associated with CBD. Most others add a small dose of 15mg, after about two drinks you should begin to feel mellow and relaxed.
Dosing is always difficult so experiment and listen to your body.
Recipes To Get You Started
Grapefruit Rosemary CBD Cocktail
Rosemary simple syrup and gin pair beautifully with CBD and tart grapefruit juice in this cocktail. Gin-based drinks and other cocktails with a botanical twist work well with CBD because they’re also terpene-rich. Many of their notes are also the building blocks of flavor in hemp.
What you’ll need (per 1 serving)
1/2 whole grapefruit squeeze and skin peeled for garnish
1/2 ounce Rosemary Simple Syrup
1.5 ounces Gin
15 mg High-Quality Edible CBD Oil
Plain Sparkling water to top
HOW TO MAKE:
In a cocktail shaker, combine grapefruit juice, rosemary simple syrup, CBD oil, and Gin with ice. Shake vigorously together. (To make rosemary simple syrup, combine 1 part sugar with 1 part boiling water and 5 large pieces of rosemary. Simmer for 10 minutes so flavor permeates).
In a coupe glass, pour the Grapefruit CBD elixir from the shake in a coup glass.
Top with sparkling water.
Garnish with a grapefruit twist, slice, or sprig of rosemary
CBD Mezcal Margarita
“Get your daily dose of greens in more ways than one: The smoky mezcal, vegetal Aquavit, and CBD team up with your favorite green juice to create a flavor profile that Cheech and Chong could get behind.” Serves 1
1 ounce mezcal
1 ounce aquavit
3/4 ounce lime juice
3/4 ounce agave syrup
1 ounce cannabis leaf juice or your favorite green juice like celery, arugula, kale
1 pinch sea salt
15 mg CBD tincture
cannabis leaf, edible flowers, or greens of choice, to garnish
1. In a shaker filled with ice, combine the mezcal, aquavit, lime juice, agave syrup, green juice, salt, and CBD tincture.
2. Shake, then fine strain into a lowball glass with one large ice cube.
3. Garnish with a cannabis leaf, edible flowers, or your favorite greens
Share your experiences with CBD Cocktails in the comments below!
Ultimate CBD labs has a peppermint flavoured CBD Oil that would float perfectly on top of many adventurous cocktails and beverages.