The tobacco epidemic is one of the biggest health threats we have ever seen with hundreds of thousands of people smoking nicotine daily. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention states that more people in the United States are addicted to nicotine than any other drug. Studies also show that kicking the habit can be as hard as quitting heroin or cocaine. With something so addictive being so easily bought in stores it’s no wonder we have so many smokers that can’t see any way to break this bad habit. CBD Oil, with all of its incredible benefits, may also help people fight Nicotine addiction and can help with quitting.
What is CBD?
CBD and THC are the two main parts of the cannabis plant. CBD is a feel-good chemical in the cannabis plant that does not have psychoactive effects. Unlike THC, It will not create the sensation of being “high”. It is safe, non-addictive, and legal in most places.
The Effects of Nicotine On The Body
Nicotine releases a chemical called Serotonin into the same region as addictive drugs and Inhaling the smoke creates a mind-altering change that makes you feel temporarily good. The “rush” that comes from smoking is a massive part of what makes it so addictive. I’m sure we are all aware at this point that smoking is bad for you, it says on the front of every pack, these are some of the ways it affects your body.
- Heart Disease: Cigarettes are responsible for 80% of all chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The linings of your arteries begin to create fatty material that blocks the arteries in your body. Also accelerates your heart rate leading to angina, which causes heart attacks and strokes.
- Prematurely Aging Skin: Can cause wrinkles by reducing skin elasticity.
- Poor Oral Health: Smoking can cause gum disease, mouth cancer, and stain teeth yellow. It is also more difficult for infected gums to heal with reduced oxygen levels in the blood.
- Cancer: Smoking is responsible for 90% of all lung cancer deaths
- Weakened Immune System: Less oxygen in the blood leads to slower recovery time.
Why Is It So Hard To Quit?
If you have ever tried to quit smoking or know someone that has you can probably testify that it’s not an easy thing to do. Internal and external factors influence this habit. Serotonin is released while smoking and results in the feeling of calm that is experienced afterward. When a person is trying to quit smoking their serotonin levels plummet resulting in more stress which in turn strengthens the need to smoke.
One of the hardest parts of quitting can be the feeling of nicotine withdrawal, it’s absence causes the body to generate uncomfortable feelings in the body and mind. Smokers may experience a combination of these symptoms when they try to cut cigarettes out of their life.
- difficulty sleeping
- mood swings
- slowed heart rate
- difficulty concentrating
How Can CBD Help you Quit Smoking?
It can be daunting to begin your journey towards a healthier life but CBD can make this process much easier.
- Naturally Increase Serotonin Levels: We know that serotonin levels drop when trying to quit which makes it hard for people to stay away. CBD helps by activating a receptor in the body named 5-HT1A which will help increase serotonin levels in a much healthier way. CBD acts as an antidepressant and helps reduce the anxiety and irritability associated with quitting.
- Reduces Physical Symptoms: CBD has anti-inflammatory properties and is known to help with body pain and headaches.
A study done on 24 people shows how valuable CBD could become as a way to curb the cravings for good. 24 smokers were randomly selected to receive either a CBD inhaler or a placebo for one week. Whenever they had the urge to smoke they were supposed to use the inhaler. People who received the placebo saw no changes in the number of cigarettes smoked while those that were treated with CBD smoked 40% less during treatment.
How to Use CBD Oil
Most people that are trying to quit smoking with the help of CBD prefer to use a vape pen to achieve this. This is mainly to help with the habitual need to smoke rather than it being more effective in any specific form.
The most effective method will be different for every person so it is deciding what works well for YOU and YOUR BODY.
Smoking it: The first option is to smoke it. This can be achieved by using either a vaporizer or an “oil rig”. The “oil rig” is similar to a water pipe and is a fast and effective method. A vaporizer is a better option for the same quick results while being less harsh on the throat and lungs.
Sublingual: Another option is to purchase a CBD oil tincture and apply a couple of drops under the tongue for 30 seconds. This option is easy and discreet. Effects vary so the dosage can be difficult.
Edibles: The last option is perhaps the most popular and fun way to ingest CBD. It is the longest lasting-method as well as the slowest to affect the body. Getting the right dose may take some experimentation.
Where Can I Purchase CBD?
With so many options online it can be intimidating trying to find quality products. Ultimate CBD Labs has amazing products that are trusted and tested. Try their CBD Oil, CBD capsules, or CBD gummies or read more about them here. For any CBD products research them and read the reviews!
Have you quit smoking with CBD or know someone that has? Share in the comments below!